First time home buyers often are befuddled when it comes to choosing the best mortgage package. In addition, there is no guarantee of getting your preferred mortgage loan even if you are working with a mortgage professional. First time homebuyers in Lake Minnetonka must not sign away the loan they qualified for but instead consider a smaller, more affordable loan.
How does this happen? Loan officers will qualify you for a loan based on your income ratio and not necessarily how much you’re prepaid to pay in housing payments each month. If you borrow the entire loan amount that you “qualify” for, it’s likely that your monthly payment will be pushing your monthly budget to the max.
Setting your own limits for the loan will help you resist the temptation to just borrow up to the limit that your loan officers offer s and help you stay within a comfortable housing expense range based on your income level. Here are some more tips for selecting the mortgage for your new home purchase:
1. Know your tax benefits. When selecting the right mortgage for your Lake Minnetonka home, you can ask about the tax benefits. Some loans are ‘interest only’ loans that allows you to subtract the entire cost on your taxes intended for that year. But loans with negative amortization scale won’t permit deduction of interest on the monthly payment.
2. Think long-term. If you’re planning on staying in the home for 30 years or more, you will be a good candidate for a fixed-interest rate loan. While these types of loans may have a slightly higher interest rate than ARM loans and other loan products, they will protect you from changing market conditions. Still, there are some drawbacks of the fixed interest-rate loan. Barron’s Smart Consumer’s Guide to Home Buying points out that the demands of the escrow account associated with the fixed interest-rate loan may cause your payments to increase.
3. Ask about other home payment options. Flexibility in your mortgage loan’s payment can help you maximize your funds. For instance, there are mortgage loans that allow making extra payments toward the principal balance without worrying about a penalty. You may inquire about this type of loan so that you would not be problematic of your debts in the future.
4. Find ways to keep your payments manageable. Keep your payments affordable by setting a limit on your loan amount even if you have been offered a huge amount by the lender. As much as possible, find a low interest rate, long loan term, and the ability to make interest-only payments.
5. Avail yourself of mortgage insurance. Nowadays, majority of people do not have enough resources to pay for down payment. However your down payment can no longer be a problem since it can be provided by mortgage insurance and in some instances, you can even apply for your desired loan without making any kind of down payment.